“Cold” weather is relative to where you live; our Northern curlfriends have a much different idea about chilly temperatures than Southern sisters like me! But no matter where you live, it’s that time of year where the air is dryer, meaning your hair is dryer. Here are a few brief tips for taking care of your tresses in the cold winter months!
- Wash Your Hair Less: Do not over wash your hair. Wash your hair less in the winter. Try limiting down the products used in your hair to cause less build-up. You should try to wash your hair 8-10 days after each style. Use a clarifying shampoo such as Squeaky, followed up by Rich & Funky to remove buildup.
- Moisturize Your Hair: Keeping your hair moisturized is very crucial during the winter months. Keep those ends sealed with creams. Supercurl is great for sealing in moisture. To be a little crafty, if you would like to make your own DIY crème, grab some shea butter, your favorite oils and mix with a blender.
- Use Protective Styles: Protective Styles are a life saver throughout the year, but especially in the winter. It is a great way to protect those ends from harsh cold weather and retain length. Keeping your hair tucked away decreases hair manipulation, which can cause excess breakage. Some different types of protective styles can consist of Marley hair extensions, wigs, crochet styles, or braids (just to name a few!).
- Condition Your Hair Deep condition your hair every other week to protect your hair from massive dryness. Richee Rich Conditioner is great for deep conditioning. It leaves your hair soft and moisturized, reducing all dryness.
- Massage Your Scalp: Use oils such as grapeseed, jojoba, castor, and rosemary oils to massage your scalp. UFD’s Shining Star is also a great all-in-one oil that can keep your scalp and skin healthy. Technique is important – rub oils into the scalp once a week in a circular motion, which will help stimulate blood to your scalp.
For a more in-depth explanation of these tips, check out the replay of my Talk About It Tuesday on Uncle Funky’s Daughter’s Periscope channel! And as always, stay tuned for more exclusive content from UFD, as well as myself!
Happy Holidays, Funky Junkies!